I know a very ambitious and smart woman who desperately wants to have a major change in her life. She’s tired of how things are going for her and feels she’s at the point for something bigger. Every time I talk to her, she describes with excitement her life vision. Yet, she doesn’t take any action. She always tells me that she was going to take some action, but her kids required attention, and so it would have to wait.
This situation has been going on for almost a year.
I would often say the same to myself when I was in the corporate world and before I learned about mindset. I would start to step forward into something new, and then I would talk myself out of it. There was always something else going on that required my immediate attention, so the other action would have to wait.
How many times has this happened to you? Today? This past week? This past month?
I call it the “Go or Don’t Go” moment. It’s the moment when we’re all set to move forward by getting out of our comfort zone, and then we talk ourselves out of it. It happens so fast, basically in a nano-second, that we don’t even realize what we’re doing. We think we’re doing what we should be doing, when in reality, we’re giving in to our old stories, fears, and doubts. We are giving in to a self-imposed ceiling of what we believe we are capable of and deserve.
The problem with this is that it keeps us stuck in the same place, pushing our dreams and desires further away until, eventually, they seem unreachable.
The next time you set the intention of getting out of your comfort zone, here are five powerful suggestions to help you over that hurdle and to move forward:
1. Put your intention out into the world. Whether it’s through an accountability buddy or coach. State your intentions clearly of what you want to happen and when.
2. Be clear on “why” it’s so crucial for you to meet your goals. For example, if you’re taking action because you believe you “should”, it won’t get you very far. Your “why” must be aligned with your bigger life vision.
3. Make a list of what could hold you back or get in the way. Come up with solutions for these blocks. Typically, I work with one of my coaches to help me realign my perspective to overcome obstacles in my path.
4. What beliefs are in your way or have stopped you before? Maybe you don’t think it will happen? Will it be too hard to accomplish? You’ve tried before, and it hasn’t worked out? What stories are you telling yourself about reaching this goal? Work on clearing out these negative beliefs or hire an expert (me!) to help expedite the process.
5. Visualize yourself having success. As little children, we did this all of the time. We saw ourselves as doctors, nurses, pilots, etc. Bring back that inner child of yours to imagine how this abundant state would feel. Notice that big smile on your face as you do!
The above suggestions are just a start because there are lots more things you can do. Take it one day at a time.
International Speaker | Best-Selling Author |
Breakthrough Success Expert | Leading Mindset Expert | Award-Winning Strategist | Private Coaching
P.S. If you haven’t read my latest book, “Go or Don’t Go: The Complete Guide to Accelerate Your Success and Tap into Your Brilliance,” here’s a link to download a free chapter.
P.P.S. None of us can transform alone. Join me at my next event and have your very own breakthrough!