There’s that old joke that as an entrepreneur, you can work at 6am in your pajamas…or at midnight in your pajamas. The reality is most entrepreneurs work both!There’s that old joke that as an entrepreneur, you can work at 6am in your pajamas…or at midnight in your pajamas. The reality is most entrepreneurs work both!
Interesting how most of us start our business for freedom…financial, time and space freedom…BUT, how many of us actually end up with that?
When I first started my business, I worked 7 days a week. I would have worked 8 days if I could. It was all about staying afloat.
That’s actually very common for the first few years of business, especially, if you’re a sole supporter and don’t have other income.
But, after that, you should be moving into profitability (and time-off) mode.
If you’re doing any of these, your business owns you:
- Not taking time off
- Not unplugging during vacations/time off
- Telling yourself it’s ok because you LOVE your business
- Not taking good self-care
- Not having fun (outside of work)
- Not sleeping because you’re always worried about your business
Here are a few suggestions to start to shift. And, believe it or not, your business will still be there… even stronger than ever.
1. Designate time off every month. Make one day a week or even a half day per week where it’s your time to be creative and work ON your business…not IN your business. No emails, appointments or calls during this time.
2. Let people know you’re going to be away in advance. Set an out-of-office auto responder letting people know you’re away. If you have a team, have someone check your emails for you.
3. Designate time for fun and self-care that has nothing to do with work. That will make you happier and also more interesting to your prospective/current clients.
Bottom line, take good care of yourself and it will show up in your business. Here’s the deal: if you let your business own you, you’ll end up being resentful and unhappy. Start the shift today!
Kate Beeders, Founder of BRILLIANCE Builders™
Attracting Clients is Easy When You Let Your True Brilliance Shine
P.S. Need help and looking to hire a mentor? Contact my team at Info@KateBeeders.com so we can connect.